Grameen Foundation is a global non-profit organization that focuses on providing the world’s poor with access to financial services and information on health and agriculture that can improve their lives. We also develop tools to increase the effectiveness of poverty-focused organizations. Founded in 1997, we are headquartered in Washington, D.C., with offices in Seattle, Asia, sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America. We also work in the Middle East and North Africa through a joint venture (Grameen-Jameel Microfinance Limited) and, in India, through Grameen Foundation India, a wholly-owned subsidiary.
We are seeking a consultant or boutique agency to help raise Grameen Foundation’s profile and position it as an expert in developing innovative mobile-based solutions to address global poverty.
Grameen Foundation needs to expand its in-house capabilities to take advantage of several opportunities over the next few months. We plan to announce new initiatives and issue reports from ongoing initiatives that demonstrate the role of mobile technology in helping the poor to increase their income, manage financial risks and live healthier lives. These include a new microinsurance initiative in Kenya; findings from our work on mobile agriculture in Uganda, mobile health in Ghana, and food security in Colombia; and research on rural farmers in Philippines. The announcements and related activities provide an excellent platform for generating publicity that can elevate the foundation’s public brand and, in turn, increase donations. This initial work could also lead to a longer term relationship.
Scope of Work
The selected consultant/agency will be responsible for developing and executing a media relations strategy that identifies, develops and places stories in influential general interest and niche media and social media channels. Our primary interest is U.S. and international media. Placements in key media in Asia, sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America and the Caribbean would be an added benefit.
We anticipate that activities would include:
- Developing pitches and story angles
- Preparing press releases and other media-ready materials
- Pitching and arranging interviews and appearances;
- Prepping key spokespersons for interviews
The selected partner will have demonstrated expertise working with small international development nonprofits. Experience with organizations that focus on global poverty issues is preferred. The proposed services will be reviewed and evaluated based on completeness and compliance with the requirements of the RFP. The core judging criteria are:
- Demonstrated expertise in and an understanding of Grameen Foundation’s work (40%)
- Understanding of and ability to meet our goals (20%)
- Qualifications of key personnel, with weight given to experience in our areas of expertise (20%)
- Ability to execute proposal within budget (20%)
Your proposal should demonstrate how you would package and pitch Grameen Foundation’s work and spokespersons. It must also include the following:
- Brief overview of your history
- An in-depth list of your capabilities
- Demonstrated success in media placements for similar work in the U.S. and globally
- Experience with the non-profit sector
- Examples of similar projects
- Current client list and a minimum of three references from clients for whom you have completed similar work
- Relevant client case studies
- Strategy for addressing each section of the scope of work
- Your approach to engaging Grameen Foundation in your strategy development and execution
- Bios of the team you would assign to our account, their roles/positions and estimate of hours
- Total cost of completing the scope of work (please break this down by project segments listed under the scope of work) and billing procedure
Your proposal should be based on a budget of $15,000 for fees and expenses through March 31, 2015.
Please submit your proposal to marcomm [at] grameenfoundation.org by 5 p.m. ET on Friday, October 10, 2014
Senior Marketing Officer
202-628-3560, ext. 128
lyorke [at] grameenfoundation.org